Synthetic kitchen sponge has been used since 1940. It is durable, absorbs water well and is convenient for cleaning various types of surfaces. Unwittingly, we often make mistakes when using the sponge. In this blog, we will talk about the mistakes that should not be made when using a kitchen sponge.
Saving for a long time
If you use the kitchen sponge for more than a week, you are making a mistake. Its shelf life is about a week, because, with time, it becomes infected with bacteria and gives off an unpleasant smell.
Leaving it in the sink
Washing dishes is a tiring process for many people, so no one will blame you if you leave the sponge in the sink after washing. However, keep in mind that leaving it in a damp place will allow germs to spread. You can place it in a basket or on a drying rack to allow air to circulate and the sponge to dry.
Placing it in the microwave oven
You may have come across the advice to put a sponge in the microwave and the bacteria will be destroyed. Do not consider this advice because some germs can be killed, but there are types of germs that will multiply in the heat. The dishwasher works in the same way: it destroys some microbes, but it helps to multiply some. Therefore, do not put the sponge in the microwave or in the dishwasher.
Cleaning various surfaces
It is common to clean different surfaces and wash dishes with the same sponge in order to save sponges. This is a mistake! If you want to save the sponge, first, when you take the sponge out of the package, cut it and use it for different purposes. Also, don't store it unwashed and after washing be sure to wring it out to dry.
Using it instead of paper towels
A paper towel is better for cleaning some things. We often make this mistake when we clean the cooking directly with a sponge. The sponge absorbs the cooking, contaminates the sink and other dishes. It is better to clean the cooking with a paper towel, because you throw it away after use.